International Yoga Day : India is witnessing great change
Today is International Yoga day. By the way what do we think of Yoga ? How can one define Yoga ? What are the key benefits of doing yoga ? Please read What Is Yoga to understand Yoga as described by Patanjali. Today is the first ever International Yoga Day and 21st June is the Yoga day. There are overall 50 nations all around the world including china, US, back Narendra Modi’s call to celebrate 21st June as International Yoga Day.
Why 21st June As International Yoga Day?
The first yoga practitioner (Adi Yogi) is said to have begun imparting the knowledge of yoga to the rest of mankind on this day and became the first guru (Adi Guru) (Wiki) and from the perspective of yoga, the Summer Solstice marks the transition to Dakshinayana, the first full moon after summer is the lengthiest day.
Let me explain few asanas
Sarvangasana – Mother of all asanas
Let me start with Sarvangasana , One asana which takes care of entire body, those who practice Sarvangasana daily will feel young and energetic always. Like how mother strives for harmony and happiness in the home, Sarvangasana strives harmony and happiness in human body.
- There are several endocrine organs or ductless glands in the human system which bathe in blood , absorbs the nutrients from the blood and secrete harmones for proper functioning of balanced and well developed body and brain
Many asana have direct effect on the glands , Sarvangasana take care of thyroid and parathyroid glands
- Venous blood flow to the heart without any strain due to gravity helps for Healthy blood circulation around neck and chest. As a result person suffering from breathlessness , palpitation, asthma, bronchitis, throat ailmens get relief.
- Nerves will be soothed and headaches even chronic ones disappear
- Continuous practice will eradicates common colds and other nasal disturbances
- Those suffering from hyper tension , nervous breakdown, insomnia are relieved
- Bowels moves freely and constipation vanishes , as a result the system frees from toxins and feels highly energetic
- Recommended for urinary disorder an uterine displacements, menustrual trouble , piles and hernia
- It helps to reveal epilepsy low vitality and anaemia
If a person practices sarvanagasana daily will feel new vigour and strength and will be happy and confident
- It activates the abdominal organs and relieves people suffering from ulcers
More Asanas –
1. Vajrasana : Start your daily Yoga with this asana, this is the only asana which you can do after having food also.
- Calms the mind
- Brings strength in back
- Improves digestion and removes constipation
- Good for urinary problems
- Increases sexual organs
- Good for digestive organs
- Tones the legs muscles
- Brings strength in legs
- Improves concentration – Very very good for concentration
3. Utthita Trikonasana
- Tones up legs muscles and removes stiffness in legs
- removes stiffness in hips and reduces fat around hips
- Corrects minor deformity in legs and allows them to develop evenly
- Relieves backaches and neck sprains
- Strengthen the ankles and develops the chest
4. Parivrtta Trikonasana
- Tones the thigh, Calf and hamstring muscles
- The spine and muscles of the back gains strength and function properly
- Increases the blood supply around lower part of spinal region and hence functions normally
- Relieves pain in the back, viggorates the abdominal organs and strengthens the hip muscles
5. Virabhadrasana I
- In this pose chest is fully expanded and helps deep breathing
- Relieves stiffness in shoulders and back
- tones up the ankles and knees and cures stiffness of the neck
- Reduces fat round the hips
- The pose aids digestion and relieves gastric troubles and flatulence
- Spine is stretched back it becomes elastic
- Relieves pain in the sacral and lumbar regions
- Persons suffering from slipped discs will be benefited more
- Bladder and the prostate glands also benefited
7. Maha Mudra – Very powerful Asana should not be practices without a Guru
- Tones up abdominal organs
- Very good for kidneys and adrenal glands
- Women suffering from prolapsed womb find relief as it pulls the womb up.
- Person suffering from spleen alignment and from enlargement of the prostate gland will be benefited
Maha mudra destroys the death and many other pains. There is nothing that one cannot eat or has to avoid. All foods regardless of taste and even when deadly poisonous is digested. He who practises Mahamudra, overcomes consumption, leprosy, piles, enlargement of spleen, indigestion.
Thank You Modi Ji : We love you…
~~~ Celebrate International Yoga Day ~~~
Happy International Yoga Day
Learn Yoga : Books recommended to become master in Yoga
1. Light on Yoga by B K S Iyengar
2. Light on Pranayama
Controversies Over International Yoga Day
It is sad to hear that people giving religious touch to Yoga and finally decided to leave Suryanamaskar one of the powerful Asana. Those who are arguing as India is accused of pushing ‘Hindu agenda’ on Muslims. Please grow-up.